From:  Ned Schwartz <ned@theinterned.net>
Newsgroup:  news.mozilla.org/mozilla.drumbeat.website

Re: Sample Database for Drumbeat.org

NNTP-Posting-Host:  63.245.208.166

Hi paul,

I was attempting to install on osx 10.6. There were a number of issues that
I could never resolve.

One of the major ones was that I was never able to get certain parts of the
admin to display. I have no idea why not. But for example, I was not able to
turn off the javascript concatenation - so I was not able to work on
javascript locally.

Actually, at this point, due to subsequent svn updates (I am assuming) my
local site is broken. This actually may be due to my db getting out of
synch.

I am fine with just working via cssEdit for now. Perhaps if there is a
disk-image based process down the line I may pick up again.

Ned

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM, paul@appcoast.com wrote:

>  Hi, Ned
> Would you let me know what your difficulties are with setting up Drumbeat
> on your local server (Ubuntu 9.10 / 10.0.4?) and i'll see if i can help ?
> Best,
> Paul Booker
> Appcoast
> On 06/05/10 16:45, Ned Schwartz wrote:
> Yeah that is a good idea - an image certainly would be a good option given
> my experience.
>  For now, I have abandoned trying to run the site locally. I bought a
> license for CSSEdit which let's me preview the page running on trellon's
> server while swapping a local sylesheet to edit and gives me live previews
> of the css changes. This is working great for css, but I will no doubt need
> to do some templating and javascript and I don't think there will be any
> option there but to either get the site running locally or resort to messy
> trial and error svn checkins.
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Paul Osman wrote:
>> Hi Ned,
>> I'm almost there, just having some issues with image caching now. I'm
>> installing it on Linux, specifically Ubuntu 10.04. There were a couple
>> of things I had to do differently, one because Ubuntu ships with apt
>> sources for PHP 5.3, which CiviCRM doesn't like, and the other to do
>> with file permissions -- the notes on the wiki suggest permission
>> modes that remove execute permissions from directories. I'll update
>> the wiki docs with a fix for that.
>> It's a lot of work, and the current situation certainly isn't
>> ideal. Once I've got everything working, I'd like to explore making it
>> easier... even if that means distributing a virtual image with
>> everything installed already. Ideas are welcome of course :-)
>> Cheers,
>> Paul
>> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 10:29:53AM -0400, Ned Schwartz wrote:
>> > Paul O -
>> >
>> > sounds like you are in the process of getting the drumbeat site running
>> > locally. I would love to hear how you fair with that. I was never able
>> to
>> > get it 100% running locally so if you succeed maybe we could compare
>> notes.
>> >
>> > What OS will you be installing on?
>> >
>> > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Paul Osman > >wrote:
>> >
>> > > On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 09:19:34AM -0400, Matthew Thompson wrote:
>> > > > Thanks Paul! :)
>> > > >
>> > > > Paul O: Maybe Nathan Kinkade from CC could help with the Civi side?
>> > > >
>> > >
>> > > Good call, I'll ping him about that today.
>> > >
>> > > Cheers,
>> > > Paul
>> > >
>> > > > On 2010-05-06, at 9:12 AM, paul@appcoast.com wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > > On 06/05/10 13:54, Matt Thompson wrote:
>> > > > >> Hey, Paul. Paul Booker created a kick-ass database sanitization
>> script
>> > > for us. Mike Haggerty at Trellon said they wanted to make some tweaks
>> to it,
>> > > but it hasn't been completed.
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >> Paul B, can you help make sure Paul O has access to your script
>> so he
>> > > can have a look? Can you remind me where it's posted?
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >
>> > > > > The script is under the Drumbeat wiki @
>> > > > >
>> > > > >
>> > > > >
>> > >
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/PaulBooker/An_example_santization_script_for_a_drupal_site_running_CiviCRM
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Some code needs to be added to make the database switch between
>> > > > > Drupal & CiviCRM to completely automate the process of santizing
>> > > > > the drumbeat databases.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Best, Paul
>> > > > >
>> > > > >
>> > > > >> Also, Gerv: am I crazy or didn't Trellon point us to a sample
>> database
>> > > at one point? I can't seem to put my hands on it. Paul O: pingers or
>> > > Campbell in IRC may be able to provide a link.
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >> Matt
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >> On 2010-05-06, at 5:02 AM, paul@appcoast.com wrote:
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >>
>> > > > >>> Hi Paul,
>> > > > >>>
>> > > > >>> Please find replies inline ..
>> > > > >>> On 05/05/10 21:43, Paul Osman wrote:
>> > > > >>>> Hi Paul,
>> > > > >>>>
>> > > > >>>> I'm following the steps outlined in the wiki to get a local
>> copy of
>> > > > >>>> Drumbeat up and running on my development machine:
>> > > > >>>>
>> > > > >>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/Website/Install
>> > > > >>>>
>> > > > >>>> I noticed that getting a sample database is still a todo item
>> > > > >>>> there. Do you know if there is a sample database available
>> > > somewhere?
>> > > > >>>>
>> > > > >>>>
>> > > > >>> Sorry, I don't know.
>> > > > >>> Not sure how things are going here as i have not had any
>> > > communication
>> > > > >>> on the "Install" process for a couple of months.
>> > > > >>> It's probably best to talk to Matt as he will now if my
>> sanitization
>> > > script
>> > > > >>> (see below) has been worked on further by Trellon
>> > > > >>> The last conversation i had i think was with Michael@Trellonwho
>> > > asked if
>> > > > >>> i would hold on integrating my "install" notes (see below) back
>> into
>> > > the wiki
>> > > > >>> as they had completed some work w.r.t  creating profiles which
>> they
>> > > wanted
>> > > > >>> to introduce first.
>> > >
>> > >
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/PaulBooker/How_to_set_up_Drumbeat_on_your_Ubuntu_desktop
>> > > > >>> Best,