From:  William Quiviger <william.quiviger@gmail.com>
Date:  20 Apr 2012 21:43:32 Hong Kong Time
Newsgroup:  news.mozilla.org/mozilla.community.africa

Re: Mozilla Nigeria (now POSSE Nigeria)

NNTP-Posting-Host:  63.245.208.166

Hi Michael,

In my past emails, I specify that Mozilla could help sponsor up to three instructors from Mozilla to attend the event. I never said that Mozilla could sponsor instructors from other projects.

William

On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:40 AM, William Quiviger wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> If you read my past emails, I always said Mozilla could help sponsor up to three sponsors from Mozilla to attend the event. I never said that Mozilla could sponsor people from other projects.
> William
> On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Michael Adeyeye wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>> I don't understand this message: Mozilla is willing to sponsor instructors from Mozilla to attend this and isn't in a position to accommodate instructors from other projects.
>> This is a way of pulling out of the sponsorship and event. As I earlier said, this not the first time the OSS organizations would do so. No one from the Mozilla Foundation indicated interest, when I sent emails to a number of its mailing lists (such as mozilla-africa@googlegroups.com and community-africa@lists.mozilla.org). And when one of them got us a person, who is willing to participate, they came up with another clause.
>> It would be good to hear it from Mozilla itself.
>> Regards,
>> Michael.
>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Alex Wafula  wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>> So some feedback on the list of instructors.... Mozilla is willing to sponsor instructors from Mozilla to attend this and isn't in a position to accommodate instructors from other projects. I know this may seem negative but we are looking to have a more hands-on approach towards sponsoring POSSE in the future
>> So as I mentioned before, I'm also glad to see someone from Wikimedia willing to attend, I hope this can still be maintained, Wikimedia has been building up interest in the Global South (developing world) and may be willing to cater for costs to get Mark Hershberger to Nigeria. I'm intouch with Wikimedia's head of Global South Relationship who's also in Wikimedia's grants advisory committee, I can link you guys up with regards to getting Mark here or since you are already intouch with Mark, it may be better to coordinate with him on this. Do let me know what you think.
>> cheers,
>> Alex
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Michael Adeyeye  wrote:
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Michael Adeyeye
>> Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM
>> Subject: Fwd: Fwd: Mozilla Nigeria (now POSSE Nigeria)
>> To: TOS
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Mel Chua
>> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:10:19 -0400
>> Subject: Re: Fwd: Mozilla Nigeria
>> To: Michael Adeyeye
>> > The instructors are:
>> > 1. Michael Adeyeye (Ph.D), Cape Peninsula University of Technology,
>> > South Africa
>> > 2. Sulayman K. Sowe (Ph.D), United Nations University Institute for
>> > Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS), Yokohama, Japan
>> > 3. Mark Hershberger, Wikimedia Foundation, USA
>> Nice group! I've heard great things about Mark. (Curious where the
>> Mozilla folks are, though!)
>> > Given that I am a POSSE instructor, we can call it POSSE. We discussed
>> > that issue at POSSE SA, I can remember.
>> If you're teaching the POSSE curriculum, yeah -- but it sounds like
>> you're doing the "helping professors get their students involved in
>> FOSS," so you're all set.
>> > Lastly, we will be using the application form you developed for POSSE
>> > NG, though the site is no longer available.
>> Yeah, the code for the application website wasn't being maintained, so
>> it's down -- but you have the application form, and
>> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_2011_cohort can be an
>> example of good applications if that helps.
>> > I guess we can start using TOS/POSSE resources :)
>> Yep, you know where all the wiki pages are. There isn't Red Hat funding
>> for POSSE stuff (at least not now, and I'm not sure if that's going to
>> change -- Steve Jacobs is working on chasing that down) so it's great
>> you've got Mozilla as a sponsor.
>> The amusing part is that I'm trying to get over my own fear of "opening
>> up" POSSE and letting other people take the idea and run with it, but...
>> go, Michael, go! If you could send this thread out to the TOS list
>> (forwarding this email + your reply is fine with me) that would be
>> great, so everyone else knows what's going on.
>> Just make sure you document everything -- blog it to the TOS planet,
>> post on the list, let us know if you're making improvements to the
>> exercises (so we can use them too), and all the usual. Looking forward
>> to seeing more people on the TOS list and in the #teachingopensource
>> channel!